Fancy trying Sea Kayaking? Like to learn some skills, see the sights, and get up close to wildlife? This day course is designed around giving you some basic skills in Sea Kayaks; getting you comfortable paddling forwards, backwards and turning. We will also focus on interpreting tidal data, reading the water, plus understanding weather forecasts and their impact upon us whilst we are sea kayaking.
These courses are run in Chichester Harbour so we can see some great wildlife, but the aim would be to venture outside the harbour as part of the day. We run these courses with a low number of clients to each coach which ensures we can tailor the learning experience to fit you.
We don’t really have a particular syllabus for this course, so of course will endeavour to cover all the skills you would like to. However, we have put together a few ideas so you have a rough idea of what to expect from the day:
- Safe launching and landing – This is sometimes a little more complicated than you expect
- Basic journey planning – Assessing tides and weather, making sure we know where we are going, how to get help, and what kit to carry.
- Forward paddling techniques – we work on varying the techniques for the conditions (cruising, going faster, dealing with waves, etc)
- Turning – Sea Kayaks are generally designed for straight line travel, so we will give you some hints and tips to get you turning them smoothly
- Navigation – we will look at some maps and charts, and give you some information on navigating afloat in sea kayaks
- Rescues when afloat – so you can deal with a situation if it all goes wrong!
- Safety kit, and how to use it
Pre-requisite: To get the most out of this course we recommend that you have been kayaking before, and have some experience of paddling fundamentals.
What Fluid Adventures provide:
- Sea Kayak
- Buoyancy aids
- Helmets (when appropriate)
- Spray Decks
- Relevant safety kit (pump, flares, group shelter, repair kit)
- Relevant water access licenses
- Qualified, experienced and CRB checked coach
What you need to provide:
- Suitable paddling attire
- Towel – just in case!
- Complete spare change of clothes for afterwards
- Transportation to/from location
- Car Parking
- Any safety equipment you already own i.e
- Group Shelter
- Repair Kit
- First Aid Kit
- Map/Chart + Case
Harbour Office, The St, Itchenor, Chichester, West Sussex PO20 7AW, UK