Had a go at one of our taster sessions and enjoyed it? Feel that you want to try some more kayaking and learn more from our experienced coaches? This Intro to Kayaking and Canoeing course is the ideal next step for you, throughout this session we cover a wide range of skills all aimed at making you a more skilful and relaxed paddler.
When we are running this course we have no fixed agenda other than to make you more happy in a kayak and get you moving around with a bit of style, please feel free to ask the coach any questions during the session and they will try their best to tailor your needs into the session. We do have a few ideas of what we would expect you to be interested in covering, so have decided to list these out for you as a rough idea of what to expect:
- On arrival a drink and discussion about what you want to get out of the course
- Efficient forward paddling – so you can go further using less energy
- Manoeuvring skills – so you can impress onlookers
- Route planning – how to ensure you have a great day on the water
- Kit to carry – what safety kit to take with you
- Rescues and self-preservation – what to do if it goes wrong!
- Fun and games to re-enforce your newly learned skills
- Solid feedback outlining your next steps in paddling afterwards
Please note that the above items fulfil the requirement for the BC 1 Star Certification, and we can award this at the end of the course if desired. Please let your coach know when you arrive!
Pre-requisites for this course: None! It’s suitable for all!
What Fluid Adventures provide:
- Buoyancy aids
- Helmets (when appropriate)
- Relevant safety kit
- Relevant water access licenses
- Qualified, experienced and CRB checked coach
- Tea/Coffee/Drink on arrival
What you need to provide:
- Suitable clothing
- Wetsuit (if owned) or old clothing (jogging bottoms and a microfleece top are ideal)
- Shoes – old trainers will do, but we recommend wetsuit shoes/boots
- Windproof/splashproof jacket (an old or cheap one is perfect)
- Towel – just in case!
- Complete spare change of clothes for afterwards
- Transportation to/from location
Please note that there are no changing facilities at many of the locations we regularly use, we recommend using a changing robe, or an old dressing gown.
Chichester, West Sussex PO20 7AW, UK