The BC Foundation Safety and Rescue Training (BC FSRT) course is aimed at providing paddlers with a range of rescue skills so they can deal with any scenarios which may occur while they’re on the water. During this course we look at different types of rescue tools, such as throw lines, tow lines, knives, webbing, and karabiners. We also will look at rescues and self rescues in a range of craft including: kayaks, sea kayaks, sit on tops, canoes and fragile craft.
At Fluid Adventures we strongly advise all paddlers who are enthusiastic about being on the water in canoes or kayaks, to take part in this course which is why we provide it at a lower fee than many other providers. We feel that it is essential to know how to rescue yourself, and others, should things go wrong whilst afloat – we particularly recommend it to club paddlers, families, and groups of friends.
The aims for the BC FSRT course are as follows:
This training course aims to provide paddlers with the key safety and rescue skills required to operate safely and to be able to deal with common emergencies. These skills form the foundations for safety and rescue throughout BC qualifications.
The award has two purposes;
• To provide the paddler with the necessary skills which will enable them to ensure the safety of themselves and others
• To provide the paddler with the appropriate rescue skills which can be used to help themselves and/or others in difficulty
The pre-requisite for this course is for attendees to be able to accurately control their craft to get into a position to rescue, you’ll also need to be comfortable in the water, as part of this course will require you to be a victim, as well as the heroic rescuer!
The full syllabus for this course is available from the British Canoeing website – BC FSRT Syllabus
What Fluid Adventures provide:
- A range of kayaks and canoes
- Buoyancy aids
- Spray Decks
- Relevant safety kit (throw lines, tow lines, group shelter, repair kit, first aid kits, etc)
- Relevant water access licenses
- Qualified, experienced and CRB checked coach
What you need to provide:
- Suitable paddling attire
- Complete spare change of clothes for afterwards
- Transportation to/from location
- Car Parking
- Any safety equipment you already own – we will discuss it throughout the course
Hilton Park, East Wittering, Chichester PO20 8RL, UK